Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste is collected on the same day as your refuse pickup. We will accept food scraps in yard waste. Leaves, grass, twigs and branches too small to bundle may be placed in a paper bag, box or disposal container and may not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Loose piles of grass or other waste will not be accepted.
Tree and shrub limbs must be bundled with biodegradable string or twine. Wire, tape or plastic are unacceptable binding materials. Bundles may not exceed 5 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter.
Yard waste / food scrap compost will be picked up once-a-week, on your regular pick-up day, at the curb April 1st through November 30th. Note: Some areas require stickers (please call us about a sticker) for yard waste pick up or a subscription to our yard waste program. Christmas/Holiday trees will be collected at the curb during your normal pickup day at no extra charge through January 15.
Curbside Leaf Vacuuming
Leaf vacuuming dates for 2019 are to-be-determined, please check your city, county, village, or town website for details. Dates may change due to weather conditions. We ask residents to rake their leaves all the way to the curb, which should be free of any parked vehicles in order to receive collection. To take advantage of this service, make sure your leaves are curbside by 6:00 a.m. on the specified days. Prairieland will be making one pass by every home located within the identified service areas.
One Time Leaf Vacuuming: We will perform one-time leaf vacuuming for a fee. Call us for details.
Please note in the above mentioned areas, Prairieland will not perform collection if branches / rocks / garbage are found mixed in with your leaves. Leaves that are put out after we have serviced the area or are prepared incorrectly will not be collected; however, you may take advantage of the unlimited yard waste program listed above on your normal service day. If you have questions on how to properly prepare your leaves, please call one of our customer service representatives at 1-847-381-9300.
Containers for Rent
Customers may rent organic disposal containers. Please contact us for details.
Fall Garden Clean Up Tips
- Clean Up the Garden - Clear out any weeds, garden debris, spent vines and any fruits and vegetables that weren't picked rather than allowing them to remain over the winter. This will prevent your plot from becoming a winter haven for weeds, insect pests, and their eggs that could overrun your garden once springtime comes.
- Add Soil Amendments - Fall is a great time to add compost, manure, mushroom soil and leaves to the garden bed. Doing this now allows plenty of time for the amendments to decompose and mellow before it's time to put sensitive seeds in the ground. If you're not sure what your soil needs, you can buy a soil test kit at your local hardware store or home center to see what your garden could benefit from.
- Plant Leafy Fall Greens - Now that you have a clean and inviting space why not take advantage of it and plant a few fall veggies? Leafy greens such as lettuce, kale, collards, mustard and spinach grow right into the winter months and will provide additional healthy, chemical-free produce.
- Weed - Weeding in the fall is probably the most valuable thing you can do to prepare for spring, and it's one thing that many people overlook. The good news: pulling weeds used to be a backbreaking chore, but today there are a variety of tools to make it easier and faster.
Stable Manure Collection
Recycling Horse Manure, Livestock Manure, Animal Bedding
Prairieland is a firm believer in recycling animal waste and bedding. We cooperate with the University of Illinois Extension on the Great Lakes Water Quality funded project, "Changing Manure Streams."
If you've been stockpiling your horse or livestock manure, or if you're overwhelmed with used animal bedding, we can you help improve the environment and the health of your horse or livestock. Contact Prairieland Recycling and Disposal today to learn more.
Note: you may also recycle food scraps and other organics along with manure and animal bedding.
Benefits of Composting this material:
- 100% of animal waste is recycled
- Reduces flies and their larvae
- Kills parasites and pathogens
- Reduces odors
- Kills weed seeds
- Evens out grazing patterns
- Protects water quality
Oversized Item Collection
Disposing of Oversized Items
At some point you may have large items that need to be disposed of. Prairieland Disposal & Recycling is here to help. We offer a pickup service for a fee for oversize, bulky items. Contact us for fee information or complete our Oversized Item Pickup Request Form
Oversized Items We Collect Include:
- Carpet (must be cut into 4 foot lengths or rolls that do not exceed 2 feet in diameter)
- White goods: appliances such as refrigerators, microwave ovens, dishwashers, etc.
- Tree trunks, stumps, felled trees, or branches exceeding 3 inches in diameter
- Large toys
- Play equipment
Electronics Collection and Recycling
Electronics are made from valuable resources such as precious metals, copper and engineered plastics, all of which require considerable energy to process and manufacture. Recycling electronics recovers these valuable materials. As a result, we reduce greenhouse gas emissions, reduce pollution, save energy and save resources by extracting fewer raw materials from the earth.
We are accepting electronics "E" scrap. We provide a drop-off site at no charge for:
- up to 7 electronics waste items per visit, including one TV or CRT monitor. Note TV's and CRT monitors may require a fee (call for details).
- as many Christmas lights as you can carry
Our drop-off is located at 21N988 Pepper Road in Lake Barrington, IL. Call our office to arrange pick-up rate information.
Beginning January 1, 2018 our hours are Monday/Friday 8:00 - 3:00, and Saturday 8:00 - 12:00 (noon), and drop-offs are only accepted during these hours when a Prairieland office representative is on-site. We are closed all major holidays. Note, if you have a large item to drop-off we cannot guarantee someone will be available to help remove large or heavy electronics from your vehicle. Please call ahead if you need assistance.
- Personal Computers
- Monitors - $fee may be required, call us for details.
- Computer Drives
- Computer Mice
- PDA Organizers
- Any Type of Telephones
- Televisions - $fee may be required, call us for details.
- MP3 Players
- CD Players
- Video Games
- Fax Machines
- Small Household Appliances
- Holiday Lights
- Microwave Ovens
Items Not Accepted:
- Broken Glass
- Air Conditioners
- Large Household Appliances
- Lead Acid Batteries
- Electric Fixtures
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Compact Disks
- Software Disks
- Liquid or Chemical Waste
- Packaging Materials